Church of St. Luke and St. Matthew
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
John Welch, 1891

The Church of St. Luke and St. Matthew, founded in 1841 is of the 19th century Romanesque Revival architectural style. Architect John Welch drew inspiration for his design from the churches built during the Italian Renaissance, particularly those in Modena and Verona. The church features stained glass windows produced by the Tiffany Studios of New York, religious statues of Saints Peter and Paul, the traditional crucifixion scene of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John and the Rose Window, given by the children of the Sunday School at the time of the rebuilding in 1890. The church also has an organ built by M. P. Mollar in 1916. It has 61 ranks and 80 stops. The Church of St. Luke and St. Matthew is the largest Episcopal church building in the Diocese of Long Island.

 

Image Credit: Kilgub via Flickr