Cunard Building Lobby
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Benjamin Wistar Morris, 1921

The Cunard Building, designed by architect Benjamin Wistar Morris and completed in 1921, is an Italian neo-Renaissance inspired masterpiece, with 65 foot high ceilings, soaring marble columns and magnificent inlaid floors. The grandly presented marine theme underscores the power and reach of the Cunard Steamship Line Ltd. Founded in 1840 by Nova Scotia businessman Samuel Cunard. The Cunard Company pioneered transatlantic shipping and travel from mid-century on and maintained a presence on "Steamship Row." Eventually, New York became the largest city and busiest port in the world.

The elegant and imposing limestone exterior leads to a lavish vestibule and sky lighted great hall, inspired by ancient roman baths, where transatlantic voyages on such liners like the Queen Mary and the two Queen Elizabeth's were booked. Morris collaborated with muralist Ezra Winter on a decorative program focused on shipping themes and as a result the lobby is awash with starfish, seahorses, shells, sirens, and Christopher Columbus' sailing ships, the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria.

The space, now home to Cipriani 25 Broadway, is the perfect complement to the four generation tradition of cuisine and service and the ideal setting for an elegant social, nonprofit or corporate event.

Image credit: Cipriani 25 Broadway