East Midwood Jewish Center
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Louis Allen Abramson & Maurice Courland, 1929

EMJC was built in the Renaissance Revival style in the form of an Italian palazzo. It is over 100 feet wide and has 5 stories. Atop the building are 2 copper domes in the so-called "Moorish style" popular in the 19th century. The building's outstanding features are its two story high Sanctuary, illuminated by stained glass windows in red, green, yellow and blue in the Tiffany style and by a large stained glass dome and elaborate chandelier. All around the sanctuary are Greek columns and wall decorations, also reminiscent of ancient Greek designs. Every inch of the building, including the 2 ballrooms and 2 meeting rooms, are offered during the tour. In the basement are a large swimming pool, reminiscent of those in NYC high schools and a gym. We will also take visitors on a tour and explanation of our Sukkah, located in the courtyard.

Sunday Tour Info: Tours with EMJC historian and archivist Toby Sanchez will be offered on an ongoing basis throughout the day. (15-20 min)

 

Image Credit: Jeremy Seto via Flickr