Free Synagogue of Flushing
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Maurice Courland, 1928

Visit the oldest reform synagogue in Queens! There are two buildings on the property. The original synagogue was housed in a mansion built in 1859, portions of which still exist. Remnants of the mansion are still in use today as our Hebrew school. The Free Synagogue (FSF) took ownership of the building in 1921, ending a lease that was started in 1917 by the Hebrew Woman's Aid Society. After WWI, the Jewish population of Queens grew by 700%, so a new sanctuary had to be constructed. The groundbreaking took place in 1926 and the building opened for services in 1928.

FSF is known for its stained glass windows that provide a dazzling array of colors during services. Depicted in the stain glass are the symbols of the twelve tribes of Israel and images from the Torah. There is also a large stained glass dome that tops sits atop the arched ceiling which has an image of the star of David- it's not to be missed!

Sunday Tour Info: A talk at 1:30pm will kick off an Interfaith Walk to several other sacred sites around central Flushing.

For Kids: As we end the Jewish new year and kick off our 100 year celebration there will be activities for everyone.

Access Notes: This is a 100-year-old synagogue, so there are lot of stairs leading up to the sanctuary and going down to the restroom and the area where some activities will take place.

 

Image credit: Brendan Crain